Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Energy Drain...

After picking up the book, "Love and Logic Magic for Early childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six" for the fourth or fifth time, I actually put something into action that was quite humorous but very rewarding. It's called the "Energy Drain." (chapter 7 beginning on page pages 107) Dalton was getting a little too bold for his britches the other day and I finally decided to test this "energy drain" tactic out for myself. Dalton was on the bed with Dave and Dave said something and Dalton argued with Dave about it. I immediately went "Uh-oh. When you argue with Daddy it gives mommy and daddy an energy drain. Now mommy and daddy's energy is all gone and we'd like to know what you are going to do to give it back." "Well, I can hug you and give you and big kiss." "That would be great but that will not give us our energy back. Would you like some suggestions on how you can help us get our energy back?" "Yes." According to the book, you need to give three examples for them to choose from. "Well, some kids pick up dog poop to give energy back. Or you can vacuum the downstairs to give our energy back, or you can help mommy take out the trash. Which of those would you like to do to give us our energy back?" "Trash." I think he thought this was the easiest job of all but come to find out, he was mistaken. I whispered to Dave to take Trenton outside and have a GREAT time while we work hard inside. Dalton knew brother and daddy had gone outside to play. We gathered all the trashcan trash and then proceeded to break down every cardboard box I could find, take labels off every box, etc...After 30 minutes, we took the trash out to the road, even though he said the bag was too heavy, I gave him a BIG hug and said, "YOU did it. Thanks for giving me my energy back." And that was it. Now it's obviously easier to do it with two parents around so the other sibling can be having a ball with opposite parent. I have not used it since. This book has great ideas for easy disciplining, though they can be time consuming. Like anything, it just takes practice, for you and the child. After a few training lessons on vacuum, broom, toilet wand, laundry basket, or whatever it is that you want help with and your child can succeed at, it will only get easier and better with "energy drain." According to the book, if you do it right the first and second time, there aren't many more times after that that you have to use it. We'll be the test for that. Ha Ha Just had to share in my parenting moment. The word Uh-oh really gets attention around here now.

No comments: