Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dalton's Responsibilities!!!

My little man is growing up so fast. I love it but at the same time, it's very heart wrenching because he is so responsible and doesn't need me as much anymore. About 6 weeks ago I was at Bible Study and saw this Melissa and Doug Responsibility Chart hanging on Diane's wall. I had to have it. I know I could have made something very similar but this was fantastic. I came home and ordered the chart that night. Dalton was very excited to have a chart that he gets to fill in each night before bed or as soon as the responsibility is complete.
Right now his responsibilities are:
Make bed
Get dressed
Take care of dog
Put toys away before bed
Brush teeth
Keep hands to myself
Put glasses away
At the end of each week, Saturday night we look at all of the things he completed and he earns 5 cents per item. So far he has spent his earnings on a Mega Blocks vehicle, Army Soldiers play set, and his last purchase was a police play set.
We have a few stipulations that are placed on his purchases. If I know that the toys is something I don't like/want him to have, any character item, Batman, Spider Man, guns,etc... I can tell him no. Secondly, if the toys is not worth the money, I try to discourage the purchase. However, he also has to learn what products/brands are trash and which are worth the money.
Now because we are over seas, I have invented, (taken the idea from a mom of 5 boys) "Mommy Lay-A-Way." Basically, if Dalton sees an item that he wants, and I know it won't be there next time, I will purchase it and he will pay me for it until he has enough money to by the item. This is really teaching him the value of money and the BIGGIE, we can't always have what we want immediately. We have to work for the money to buy the item we want.

No comments: